Friday 25 June 2010

Almost there!

This my penultimate day is the longest day, just what you need after 80 miles! The day before yesterday was a Devil of a day, more from mythology than the toughness of the walk. I started just west of Chanctonbury Ring. A hill fort that has also been a Roman temple. Legend has it that if you walk backwards around the ring seven time you can summon the devil or is it scare him off. Whichever it is I would not recommend trying, particularly if you have to walk all the way to Devil’s Dyke. The story goes that as Christianity was spreading across Sussex the Devil decided one night to dig a giant trench down to the sea to keep the Christians back. He made such a noise that an old woman lit a candle to see what was going on. The farm cockerel thought it was the coming dawn and started crowing. The Devil was so startled by the early arrival of the sun that he took off hurling pieces of earth everywhere, one landing in the sea and forming the Isle of Wight.


The weather has been glorious in the low to mid 20’s, affording me some wonderful views. Both Domino and I have been finding it hot work but yesterday she cooled off in a dew pond. If it had not been so smelly I might have joined her.

Yesterday from the Dyke I walked to the delightful village of Pyecombe where the church had tea and rock cakes waiting. The gate of the church has a central hinge so that coffins can easily be carried in! I then walked on past the twin windmills called Jack and Jill before climbing to Ditchling Beacon.

Today the white cliffs and the coast will be clearly visible as I make my way down into the Ouse valley. That means I’m going to have to climb out of it!

No comments: