Thursday 19 June 2008

My first session

I’ve had my session with the Cardiac Rehab Sisters and I’m relieved by the results. I already know that I am over weight and have to do something about it. What I suspected or rather dreaded was that either my blood pressure or cholesterol would be high. Both of these as silent killers so the initiative by Wessex Heartbeat is vital, as it helps identify, early, the warning signs. Well both my blood pressure and cholesterol are fine and so is my blood glucose.

My Reading
Blood Pressure 117/70 mmHg
Cholesterol 4.16 mmol/L
Body Mass Index 27
Glucose 6.7 mmol/L


Target Readings
Blood Pressure Below 140/90 mmHg
Cholesterol Total under 5 mmol/L
Body Mass Index 19 – 25 ( Healthy )
Glucose Less than 10 mmol/L


Dose this mean I can take a big sigh and relax? No! I can enjoy the sigh or relief but have now to focus on the weight loss.

Through Chain Reaction in Bognor Regis ( see the links ) I’ve discovered that there is a government scheme call creatively “The Cycle Scheme”. It allows you to purchase a bike through your work cheaper. You can buy any style of bike and normally up to a value of £1,000. The savings made through the scheme are around 45% depending on your tax code. You can also select £50 worth of safety accessories under the scheme, including helmets, lights, locks and reflective clothing. I’m now going to find out how I can offer this to my team so we cal all get on our bikes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D'Arcy, I found the Healthy Heart talk this morning very educational.

I must admit I was nervous about the tests as I know I am not the healthiest of people ( I was the smoker there !! )

I was very pleased with the results as they were not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Seeing that I will not be trying to climb a mountain has given me the encouragement to do something about getting things within the guidelines.

I am sure a number of people put off looking at these types of tests as they are unsure of what they will show. However, having it done in the environment of the business group had an atmosphere of camaraderie and gave the process a far lighter note than maybe visiting the doctor to have it done.

Thank you all for your time and the way you made it all a very easy and enjoyable experience.


Ian Mitchell
D B Associates