Tuesday 10 June 2008

On your bike

I am going to have my session with the Cardiac Sister soon. So in preparation I thought I'd see what proactive things I could do to impress them! I think my office is about two and a half miles from the train station and I currently drive the 44 miles to work. If I took the train and got one of those little folding bikes I could cycle up from the station. It's an idea and would be great for my carbon footprint.
That got me thinking; what is my carbon footprint? I've just gone onto the government website to calculate my footprint. http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/index.html It was fun to do until I got the result. Although my home and appliance use was below national average my transport burden was way up. I rated at 7.55 tonnes of CO2 per year as apposed to 4.48. As I don't fly this is all down to those road miles. Aspirationaly I'd like to see my footprint drop by 20%.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think companies should know the carbon footprint of thier workers and make them cut down?

RichardW said...

am inspired to start my own blog to show our environmental thought process, get some feedback, communicate more effectively and reduce the ammount of face to face meetings and my travel needs- can I work from home? I wonder

Anonymous said...

After some blood pressure worries my reading are like a teenager. My doctor says I could live for ever!! My weight has also dropped over 10KGs. This is hard when you travel as much as I do. I am happy to be in contact with D'Arcy again but do not expect me to be a regular blogger.

Anonymous said...

What were the results of your 'Healthy Heart' session? Do you need to improve your lifestyle and if so, how are you going to do this?

Anonymous said...

Great start to your Blog. Really important charitable cause and its good to see the charity becoming proactive in prevention rather than just providing support after. I have a vested interest in that father died of a heart attack when he was just 4 years older than I now am.

Anonymous said...

Way to go. Very impressive and great leadership. Hopefully others will also be inspired. Hope it works out and you don't get too wet too often :) When I get brave I will test our carbon footprint!

Anonymous said...

D'Arcy,

Is there a simple way we can calculate our Carbon FootPrint?

John

D'Arcy said...

I have been asked about a simple way to calculate your carbon footprint. The RBS sight gives a quick and easy calculator and also an out to off set. http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/carbon.ashx